Nest is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) building a new handworker* economy to generate global workforce inclusivity, improve women’s wellbeing beyond factories, and preserve cultural traditions.
*Handworker: n. a person who works with her or his hands, in contrast to using a machine exclusively (related terms include: artisan, craftsperson, maker, homeworker, manual laborer)
St. Roche is a member of NEST, which has enabled us to measure the social impact of working with artisans to inform design decisions.
Reasons why we choose to work with artisans and are a member of NEST:
- There are 35 million homeworkers in the global garment industry
- Craft is the 2nd largest employer of women in emerging economies
- The new NEST standards and seal certification is helping to make this work viable and safe
- Shared impact metrics (cumulative impact of St. Roche and other brands working with NEST globally and directly with connected artisans)
- Direct impact: Money paid for handwork goes largely towards worker wages, as opposed to machine purchases, energy costs and interest payments
Using artisans makes a difference