Resort 2018: BLACK ATLANTIC
Nancy Cunard, the unconventional British shipping heiress, artists’ muse, writer and political activist was the influential catalyst behind St. Roche’s Resort 2018 collection. Living in Paris in the 1920’s she defined the modern woman, with a dramatic bohemian style she embraced African culture and collected large-scale jewelry and artifacts. This season St. Roche looked to African textiles for inspiration. Original embroidery, beading and print designs include:
• “Kuba” a geometric embroidery on linen, influenced by classic Kuba woven cloth from the Congo.
• The hand printed optical “Savanna” stripe print, a modern interpretation of the traditional Ghanaian Nkrumah Pencil design wax cloth...select styles are embroidered with scattered wildflowers.
• Frangipani flowers and vintage crewel thread work inspired a new embroidery on crisp cotton poplin.
• Updates to St. Roche’s signature Broderie Anglaise eyelet embroideries with pintucking and delicate lace trims.
Resort 2018 is a romantic collection of unique carefree pieces to be lived in from morning to night: romantic ruffles both soft and structured are balanced by tailoring and new asymmetry, luxurious knitwear handcrafted in Peru and an expanded beach capsule for warm weather winter escapes.
The color palette, inspired by earthy hues of the African savanna and opulent Paris nightclubs:
- Neutrals: including Ivory, Black, Almond, Tan and Cocoa
- Infused with rich tones of Warm Reds: Burgundy, Crimson, Ruby and Rosebud
- Highlights of Ochre, Chambray Blue, Antique Silvers and Golds
Using responsibly chosen natural and eco-friendly fibers, fabrics this season include GOTS certified organically grown cotton poplin and voile,washed silks, Tencel and sustainable Alpaca yarns.